Skip to Content

Man killed in shooting outside White House had previously tried to get inside, had mental health concerns

CNN-- Nasire Best, the 21-year-old man shot and killed by agents outside the White House on Saturday, had previous encounters with the Secret Service, court records show β€” including one occasion where he was involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital and another where local police arrested him while he claimed β€œhe was Jesus Christ.”

Social media belonging to Best, meanwhile, includes one post that appeared to threaten violence against President Trump and another post where he wrote, β€œI’m actually the son of God.”

The Secret Service said agents shot a man – identified as Best by law enforcement sources who spoke to CNN – when he approached a checkpoint outside the White House and began shooting at officers. Another bystander was hit in the exchange of fire.

Trump, who was in the White House at the time, was unharmed.

Officers had encountered Best multiple times near the White House last summer, according to a court affidavit, which says he was β€œknown to the Secret Service” for β€œwalking around the White House complex inquiring how to gain access at various entry points.”

He was involuntarily committed on June 26, 2025, for β€œobstructing vehicle entry” to part of the White House complex, the court documents said.

On July 10, 2025, Best ignored warning signs and walked into a restricted area outside the White House, the affidavit said, where multiple officers confronted him. Best claimed to be Jesus and said β€œthat he wanted to get arrested,” the report said.

Article Topic Follows: Top Stories

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Lauren Bly

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.