An El Paso District judge has ruled that a law firm representing a couple injured in the mass shooting on Aug. 3 will be allowed to inspect the Cielo Vista Walmart store where the tragedy took place.
According to a statement Thursday from the Ammons Law Firm, Judge Sergio Enriquez of the 448th District Court also issued a temporary restraining order to prevent Walmart from discarding or altering any evidence.
The law firm said Walmart had been seeking to block attempts to have them inspect the store.
The judge ruled the lawyers will be able to inspect the store for two hours this coming Sunday.
The lawsuit, filed earlier this month on behalf of shooting victims Jessica and Guillermo Garcia, alleged Walmart did not take necessary and reasonable steps to protect its customers on the day of the shooting.
Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove responded on Thursday to the judge’s rulings with the following statement:
“The Court has consistently denied the plaintiffs’ request to halt construction on our store and nothing has changed with that. The Order provides a two-hour window in which two individuals on behalf of the Plaintiffs can photograph, video and inspect the store. We have proceeded thoughtfully throughout and this includes preserving what information we have as required by law and working meticulously with federal and local authorities as they documented everything that took place.”
Hargrove also said Thursday that renovation work on the store site was “progressing smoothly,” setting the stage for a Nov. 6 reopening of the Cielo Vista location, which will include a permanent memorial honoring the shooting victims.
Below you can read copies of the temporary restraining order and the order allowing the Ammons Law Firm to enter the property.