EL PASO, Texas-- As winter returns to the Borderland and weather conditions change, extra caution should be taken when participating in mountain hiking activities.
The El Paso Fire Department reminds the community of some safety tips to keep in mind...
- Before you leave, check the weather to make sure you are properly equipped with gear and warm clothing. Remember that nightfall comes early during the winter so plan accordingly.
- Advise hikers to go with at least one companion; in the case of injury, the other person can call for assistance.
- Tell friends or family about your hiking plans. Include the intended route and the time you plan to return. Also leave details like the make, model and license plate of your car with your loved ones.
- Be alert for any landmarks that could help find you in case of an emergency.
- Consider turning your phone off or switching to airplane mode until you need it, to preserve battery.
- Pack plenty of water, first aid kit, whistle, candles, and flashlights.
- It is important to know your limits and listen to your body when you need a break, food or water.
- If you run into an emergency situation, call 9-1-1 for assistance.