Skip to Content

Elderly Man Dies After Accidentally Lighting Himself On Fire

A 78-year-old Dona Ana County man died from what appeared to be third degree burns after he accidentally ignited himself on fire.

At about 11:45 a.m. Friday, Dona Ana County Sheriff?s Deputies and fire personnel responded to the 570 block of Thorpe Road, after a Senior Services Meals on Wheels worker noticed Jerry Parra lying unresponsive on the kitchen floor.

Para had burns all over his body and his clothes had completely burned away.

From evidence at the scene, it appeared that Parra, who was on oxygen at the time, attempted to light a cigarette, causing the oxygen to ignite, engulfing Parra’s entire body in flames.

The flames were contained to the immediate area near where Parra was sitting at the time.

The residence, when Sheriff?s Deputies entered, was still smoke filled.

Parra’s body was sent to the Office of the Medical Investigator for an autopsy.

Foul play is not suspected. Tentatively, Parra’s death had been ruled accidental.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo



KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content