Skip to Content

Officials: East El Paso House Fire Started By Faulty Dryer

Twenty-one firefighters were called to a house fire at an east side home just after 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

Fire crews said they saw light smoke coming from the edge of the roof at the home at 1641 Joe Porter Drive.

Officials said two people were inside the home when the fire started, but evacuated after smoke alarms went off.

Fire crews determined the fire started in the laundry room and was caused by a faulty dryer motor. Crews were able to contain the fire in the laundry area, but the home did sustain smoke damage in other areas as well.

Two small dogs were rescued by fire crews and one of the occupants, a 54-year-old man, was treated at the scene for minor scalp burns.

The fire department has not released a monetary amount of damage caused by the fire.

Fire officials wanted to remind residents that an accidental fire can occur at any time and it is important to always have a working smoke alarm, in your home. For information on fire prevention and safety, or for information on how to receive a free smoke alarm please call the Fire Prevention Division at 485-5699.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo



KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content