Skip to Content
Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

No decision yet on trial date for man accused of killing 2 last Thanksgiving in El Paso & Las Cruces crime spree

Jason Gibson appears in an El Paso courtroom on a prior occasion.
KVIA
Jason Gibson appears in an El Paso courtroom on a prior occasion.

EL PASO, Texas -- A status hearing was held Wednesday afternoon for Jason Gibson, the man accused of shooting and killing two people on Thanksgiving in 2018 in northeast El Paso. Gibson is facing charges of capital murder, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery.

At the status hearing at the El Paso County Courthouse, Jason Gibson's lawyers, prosecutors and the judge discussed what is next in the case. Two trial dates have been penciled in, one in 2020 and another a year later on August 13, 2021. But neither of those dates are set in stone.

The district attorney has said he plans to seek the death penalty in the case.

Prosecutors said Gibson's crime spree began Thanksgiving morning last year, when he broke into a home in Las Cruces. He is accused of beating the homeowner and kidnapping a woman from the home. Authorities say he forced her to drive him to northeast El Paso, where Gibson broke into another home and shot three people from a family, killing Jonathan and Juan Pablo Salas. Lorenza Salas was also shot in the eye, but survived.

Madeline Ottilie

Madeline Ottilie is a reporter on Good Morning El Paso and co-anchors ABC-7 at noon.

Comments

3 Comments

  1. Almost a year gone by and he’s now just coming to a hearing? And then, almost another 2 years for his trial? Anybody in this town ever hear of the 6th Amendment?

    1. That’s what I was thinking… Damn, the cogs of justice turn slow or just grind to a stop. A-hole looks in pretty good shape. Must be feeding him well on the taxpayers’ dime. Why does anyone even care about laws anymore?

Leave a Reply

Skip to content