Investigators have found no evidence that a missing 1-week-old was with his father when the man died this week of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Ernesto Caballeiro, 49, was found dead in a rural wooded area in Pasco County, Florida, on Wednesday — a day after his newborn son, Andrew, went missing. Police have issued an Amber Alert.
After an “exhaustive search of the area,” authorities have been unable to confirm Andrew was at the scene at the time of his father’s death, the sheriff’s office said Thursday on Twitter.
Authorities have been searching for the baby since Tuesday, when they were called to a Miami home and found three women shot dead. Andrew was missing and believed to be with his father.
Caballeiro left the Miami Dade County area about 4 1/2 hours before arriving at the spot where he killed himself, the sheriff’s office said.
His van — found about 50 yards from Caballeiro’s body — was not far from Interstate 75 in Blanton, about 300 miles northwest of Miami.
Blonde woman may not be involved in case
Authorities had said they were looking for information about a blonde woman who witnesses said was in the van with Caballeiro.
But the investigation now suggests the woman may have been a passerby who stopped to check on the vehicle and “was not directly involved in this case,” the sheriff’s office said Thursday.
Investigators are frantically searching for the baby, using helicopters and bloodhounds. There’s been no sign of him so far.
Police did not disclose the relationship between the father and the women found dead in the Miami home. They were identified as Arlety Garcia Valdes, 40; Isabela Valdes, 60; and Lina Gonzalez, 84.
The victims are the baby’s mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, family friend Miguel Gonzalez told CNN affiliate WSVN.
“They are a good family,” Gonzalez said. “My friend is the uncle of the baby. I am unaware if they were having issues as a family.”