LAS CRUCES, New Mexico -- Guidelines for a return to play for summer workouts in Las Cruces has been extended
LCPS implemented district-wide safety protocols back on June 22 for football, soccer, volleyball and cross country.
Following the latest information from the governor’s office to mitigate the spread of Covid-19, the addition of indoor sports, along with opening indoor weight rooms, has been pushed back to July 13.
“The safety of our athletes remains our focus,” said LCPS Executive Director of Athletics Ernie Viramontes. A target date to resume middle school sports has not been announced.
The following guidelines remain in effect:
· No students will be allowed indoors. Outdoor restroom facilities will be available for students to access during practice.
· Coaches and student athletes will have their temperature checked daily.
· No practices will be scheduled between noon and 5 p.m. to avoid peak summertime heat.
· Prescreening and practice sessions will not exceed 90 minutes per session.
· No spectators will be allowed at practice or on the fields at any time.
· The following facilities remain closed under the Phase 1 extension: locker rooms, athletic trainers’ offices/workspace and weight rooms.