EL PASO, Texas -- Several families that have suffered deeply following the deadly car crash that followed a Border Patrol chase last week, leaving 7 people dead and another 3 seriously hurt, are now getting back the remains of their loved ones.
An official close to the case told ABC-7 on Tuesday that authorities had now identified nine of the ten people involved in the crash.
Authorities were reportedly struggling to identify that final person involved because they were found to have forged identification papers.
Among those in mourning is Patricia Torres, who said she picked up the remains of her 18-year-old son Gustavo Cervantes on Tuesday.
She and several other families in mourning still have questions about the specific circumstances of that crash, which occurred near the intersection of Paisano Street and San Antonio Avenue and what led up to it.
These questions have intensified after she spoke with several witnesses to the crash. She now intends to hire an attorney and explore her legal options once her son is buried.
Of the ten people either killed or hurt in the crash, there were residents of three different nations inside - ages ranging from teens to 20s, prompting Border Patrol to suggest it was a possible human smuggling operation gone wrong.
However, Torres said that as a mother she would have known if her son was involved with such an activity.
“If somebody is doing that then they have money in their pockets and my son never had money," she said. "I was paying his phone and giving him money for hair cuts. He had not purchased new clothes in months because we struggle, so I would know if he had money.”
The Torres family and others are planning burial services this week now that those remains are being returned.
Help with funeral expenses for those families are being provided by Angel Gomez and Operation HOPE as well as the Perches Funeral Home.