Skip to Content

Woman Who Lost Everything In Central EP Fire Needs Help

Maria De Jesus Garcia left her house in central El Paso early on July 4th to go to a party for her nephew, who was home from Iraq.

When she returned late that night and opened her door, she found smoke pouring out of her home.

She had left her windows open and thought she had extinguished a candle before going to the party, but firefighters think the candle may have reignited due to a gust of wind.

Maria said she left her windows open because her home does not have air conditioning.

Her dog, a pomeranian named ‘Baby’, was inside at the time of the fire. Firefighters were able to rescue her dog, but the canine took in a lot of smoke and was not in good shape as of Monday.

“My dog was inside and was not barking. I told the firefighters he was already dead, but they brought him out, gave him oxygen, and revived him. However, it looks bad – he doesn’t move or walk or bark,” said Maria.

While the Red Cross is trying to help her and her dog, Maria, who lost almost everything due to the fire, had no insurance and needs more help.

If you’d like to make a donation, an account has been set up in Maria’s name at First Convenience Bank and the account number is 412592800. In addition, you can call (915) 449-1723.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo



KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content