Education

Beto O’Rourke to teach politics at Texas State University next year

Beto O'Rourke
Lakana file
Former El Paso congressman Beto O'Rourke delivers a campaign speech during his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomation.

SAN MARCOS, Texas — From Congress to the campaign trail and now to the classroom – former El Paso Congressman Beto O'Rourke plans to teach at Texas State University in the spring.

University officials told ABC-affiliate KVUE that they are finalizing the hiring process and plan to have him teach a class on Texas politics.

According to school newspaper the University Star, O’Rourke will join the department as an instructor teaching a synchronous online class in spring 2021. The university told KVUE the class is PS 4325.

“He originally approached people in the administration... and expressed an interest in teaching,” political science chair Ken Grasso told the University Star. “I was thrilled. He’s got a unique take on things with his experience as a congressman and as [a] senatorial candidate and even a presidential candidate. So we’re very happy to have him.”

O’Rourke, 48, ran a close U.S. Senate race against incumbent Republican Ted Cruz in 2018.

The race propelled O’Rourke to the national spotlight and led to a failed bid for the White House in the 2019 Democratic primaries.

O’Rourke has not publicly addressed the hiring. He’s been campaigning for Democratic candidates across the state in an effort to flip the Texas House.

Texas State University in San Marcos has more than 38,000 students in undergraduate and graduate programs. It is among the largest public universities in the state and has been recognized as a Hispanic-serving institution.

“I don’t know that so much it’s going to increase enrollments; it’ll certainly increase visibility,” Grasso told the Star. “That’s always a good thing. We tend to sometimes get lost in the shadow of other institutions.”

News / Politics / Texas / Texas Politics / Top Stories

ABC News

Comments

25 Comments

1. San Marcos is a libturd cesspool. I went to a Home Depot there a few years ago while visiting my son and it seemed like I was in El Paso. Easy 80% Hispanic. My son lives in New Braunfels.

1. Amazing. The local Nazi filth with no educations whatever complaining about someone who has one. You uneducated scum bags always think someone who is educated is a “socialist” and you morons don’t even know what socialism is.

1. That’s easy. Go look in the mirror moron. Now go wax his ass and scrub his balls. He won’t be leaving town until 2021. You actually think people like loser Beto? What a moron! BTW – You’re the one with the lowly internet education. Hypocrite.

1. Markturner is a fascist communist. He thinks they are different. He needs to get woke and read the book by Vladimir Tismaneanu. The Devil in History. Subject: Communism and fascism—how did two opposite ideologies end up looking so similar. The moron makes Joseph Stalin proud.

2. Mark, the Trumptards are a bunch of retired Border Patrol who spend their free time posting crap on forums and social media and stuffing their fat faces at restaurants. Last I checked, working for the BP and patrolling the border wall like MadMikeFurey doesn’t require a higher education or much intelligence – only an inflamed ego and distorted self-image.

2. Ok mark turner look up the picture of your “educated” Beto laying there, drunk after he’s pissed his pants, yea moron that’s the guy you want educating your children. The pic is out there go find it moron

3. “He originally approached people in the administration… and expressed an interest in teaching,” political science chair Ken Grasso told the University Star.” In other words Beto was begging for a job. It looks like the idiot blew his $80 million.