EL PASO, Texas — The El Paso Office of Emergency Management is operating seven warming centers throughout the city on Sunday and Monday, while Hudspeth County has opened two in Sierra Blanca, for those in need of a heated place to go during the extremely cold temperatures that are accompanying this weekend's winter storm.
El Paso officials said Covid-19 health and safety guidelines would be followed at all the warming centers, which are all libraries, recreation or senior centers that are not currently allowing any activities.
Below are the El Paso warming center locations, all of which will be open from Feb. 14 to 15...
- Galatzan Recreation Center, 650 Wallenberg Dr.
- Clardy Fox Library, 5515 Robert Alva Ave.
- Marty Robbins Rec Center. 11600 Vista Del Sol Dr.
- Memorial Senior Center, 1800 Byron St.
- Wellington Chew Senior Center, 4430 Maxwell Ave.
- Pavo Real Senior Center, 9301 Alameda Ave.
- San Juan Senior Center, 5701 Tamburo Ct.
The two warming center locations in Sierra Blanca are as follows:
- Hudspeth County High School: 500 Sierra Blanca Dr., Sierra Blanca
- Church: 401 Sierra Blanca Dr., Sierra Blanca
Local organizations are also stepping up outreach to ensure those living on the streets are accounted for. A representative from the El Paso Coalition for the Homeless says street teams are informing unsheltered individuals of where they can go for warmth. Those locations include the Delta Welcome Center (4451 Delta Dr.) and Salvation Army (4300 E Paisano).
“I think if we didn’t have our street outreach teams and nobody paid attention to these folks, I think they would just be forgotten and not able to survive the cold temperatures,” said Camille Castillo, a representative for the coalition. “I hate to even think what would happen if these programs were not there.”
For homeless individuals who do not want to seek shelter, the coalition is working to provide them with warm weather gear. You can donate gently used winter clothing by calling the coalition at 915-843-2170.
For current weather conditions, live Doppler radar, the latest forecast and any watches or warnings, visit kvia.com/weather.