Skip to Content

China coal mine blast kills 90, state media reports; deadliest mining disaster in a decade

By Hira Humayun, Bo Gu, CNN

(CNN) — A gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed 90 people, according to state media, the country’s deadliest mining disaster in more than a decade.

“Rescue efforts are still underway. The number of casualties is still being tallied,” CCTV reported, adding that nine people were still missing at the mine in Shanxi province.

Earlier, state news agency Xinhua reported that carbon monoxide levels “exceeded limits” inside the Liushenyu coal mine in the city of Changzhi.

A team of 400 to 500 people were conducting underground rescue work, the Emergency Management Bureau of Qinyuan county, where the mine is located, told CNN. Province-level leaders have also arrived at the scene, it added.

Coal is a key source of energy in China, powering more than half of the nation’s energy consumption, despite efforts in recent years to wean off the fossil fuel.

Shanxi is one of its top coal-producing provinces, last year accounting for more than a quarter of the national total.

The province, and the industry more broadly, have been blighted by numerous deadly accidents in recent decades, despite industry consolidation and repeated government orders for safety improvements.

The blast occurred at 7:30 p.m. local time (7:30 a.m. ET) on Friday, when 247 workers were underground.

At least 201 people were evacuated by 6:00 a.m. local time on Saturday, according to Xinhua.

The cause of the blast is under investigation, Xinhua said.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping earlier called for an “all-out rescue” of the missing, Xinhua reported Saturday, adding he also “urged a thorough investigation into its cause, with accountability pursued in accordance with the law.”

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2026 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

Article Topic Follows: CNN - World

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

CNN Newsource

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.