Skip to Content

El Paso Zoological Society agrees to mutual audit of its, Zoo’s finances

Update: The Zoological Society has accepted the City's offer to conduct a "mutual audit" of both the Zoo's and the Society's finances. The City recently stated it would be willing to do a comprehensive financial audit.

"The Society accepts the Mayor's offer to a mutual audit, and they agree to mediation upon receipt of the audit findings,” the letter reads in part.

The Society adds that it looks forward to the audit and the remaining "committed to maintaining transparency and accountability in its financial operations."

"The Society previously participated in a limited audit at the City's request for the purpose of renewing the licensing agreement," society leadership stated. "Therefore, the El Paso Zoological Society reaffirms its commitment to transparency and cooperation with the City's audit process."

Update: City council voted 6 to 1 to close its contract with the El Paso Zoological Society.

Representative for District 2, Dr. Josh Acevedo, was the only city council member to vote no.

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) -- El Paso City Council is discussing closing its contract with the El Paso Zoological Society behind closed doors, during the council's executive session Monday. This comes amidst tensions that have built up between the bodies, after their agreement expired March 17.

Sunday, the City of El Paso responded to statements made by the zoological society, in which the society claimed the city demanded unrestricted access to its funds. The city said that never happened.

The city said they want the society to account for and transfer the funds it holds after the licensing agreement between the two bodies expired.

The zoological society opposes that request, saying the city has no legal basis now that the contract has expired. The city said the society is obligated to do so to be used for their intended purpose.

The previous agreement outlined that the society would sell zoo memberships, and would retain 75% of the sales. That money was to be used for the betterment of the zoo, as well as projects and society operations. The other 25% would be used for operations and promotions at the zoo.

ABC-7 is at city council and will bring you any updates on air and online.

Article Topic Follows: El Paso

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Kerry Mannix


KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content